When I first started eating paleo, there were some foods that were harder to give up than others. Oatmeal was definitely one thing that took me a long time to let go of. For me, creamy, warm oatmeal was a staple breakfast through the cool Fall and Winter. Sure eggs and bacon are a great stick to your ribs breakfast but sometimes there’s a breakfast void that only porridge can fill.
This grain free, gluten free, dairy free porridge tastes very similar to the conventional apple cinnamon flavoured instant oatmeal but without the wonky fake flavours and processed starches. It helps to plan ahead and soak the nuts the night before but, if you forget, pouring boiled water over the nuts and allowing them to soak for 15 minutes while you get the other ingredients ready will help soften the nuts and make processing easier.
This reheats beautifully so make extra at the beginning of the week and warm up while you’re getting ready in the morning or even bring it to work for reheating…see just like those instant oatmeal packets except, you’re actually eating real food.
|Spiced Apple Porridge|| |
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup raw almonds
- ½ cup raw walnuts
- pinch of sea salt
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1½ cups of coconut milk
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Place nuts in a large bowl. Pour filtered water over to cover by 2 inches. Sprinkle sea salt and stir. Cover loosely with a clean tea towel and leave soaking overnight.
- Pour nuts into a strainer and rinse until water is clear. Place nuts, applesauce, spices, and coconut milk in food processor. Process until smooth.
- Place mixture in a small saucepan and heat through on medium heat. Add chopped apples, stir and heat for 5 more minutes.
- Serve with warmed coconut milk, a drizzle of maple syrup and some extra chopped walnuts.