It’s no secret that paleo eating involves a pretty hefty amount of meat. Due to the nutrient density of animal products, meat is the main protein source in the paleo diet and is featured in almost every meal.
But over the last few months, I was feeling like I was eating a lot of meat and not getting in as much of the rainbow-tastic, vitamin rich vegetable family.
In order to get us to eat more vegetables, prepared deliciously and creatively, we started committing to Meatless Monday.
Meatless Monday was first introduced during World War I but was revived in 2003 as a way to encourage people to curb their excessive meat eating ways in order to prevent disease. While I still wholeheartedly believe that properly raised meat is the key to a healthy diet, vegetables and fruits of all colours are also important. When I work with my clients on healthy eating, aiming for 5-10 servings of vegetables and fruit per day is a key focus. It’s one of the only completely accurate nutritional claims out there right now and it stands the test of time.
Since it’s Monday, and this Monday happens to be the last one before the unofficial launch of the holiday season, I have for you a veggie rich, super tasty meatless dish. And as a bonus, it can be on your table in 30 minutes flat. Don’t let the spiral noodles scare you, they’re really easy to make. I use this spiralizer but this one is also very good.
Do you have any favourite meatless dishes? Share in the comments below!
And stay tuned later this week, because we’ll be sharing our favourite Christmas cookie recipes and they’re all gluten and grain free and will totally fool everyone
|Chipotle Spiced Sweet Potato Noodles & Eggs|| |
- 1 large sweet potato, spiralized with the medium blade
- ½ purple onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stem and seed removed and finely chopped
- 1 chipotle pepper, canned in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp of avocado oil
- 1-2 eggs/person
- Garnishes: sliced green onions, lime wedges, chopped cilantro, cubed avocado
- Heat 2 tbsp of avocado oil in a wide skillet with a lid on medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the chipotle with adobo sauce and chili powder, stir and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the spiralized sweet potato noodles, cutting them with scissors to make them a length that is easier to eat.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft, approximately 7 minutes, stirring often.
- Make a well in the sweet potatoes for each egg. Pour a small amount of avocado oil into each well and crack an egg into the well. Cover and cook until the white is opaque and the yolk is still runny, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Serve garnished with green onions, chopped cilantro, avocado and lime wedges.